Xenocs Xeuss 3.0
The Xeuss 3.0 is the latest generation instrument in the proven Xeuss family and is already installed in leading research facilities around the world.
Provide structural tools to a large community of users with full remote operation capability and access to a unique range of length-scales.
Advanced nanomaterials development and design require characterization over a large range of length scales. The Xeuss 3.0 offers such measuring capability over up to 5 orders in magnitude in q (wave vector) through entirely motorized change of configurations. Any trained user can thus operate the system remotely over its complete measurement range for a given sample or batch of samples.
Automatic change of measuring settings include:
- Q-Xoom change of measurement resolution through motorized translation of detector
- Sequential SAXS /USAXS measurement with Bonse-Hart USAXS module
- Change of energy radiation, up to 3 energies
- Movable WAXS detector for out of equilibrium in situ SWAXS studies
Q-Xoom in-vacuum moving detector
Q-Xoom – enjoy the flexibility of full-range computer-controlled detector travel.
- Access unique performance with all configurations for SAXS and WAXS with detector travel from 1 to 4 m (depending on version) in vacuum
- Virtual detector for a surface of detection larger than 200 x 200 mm²
- Full remote operation with live data display (2D & 1D) during experiment: reduce downtime, optimize your experiments
- Leave your sample in one position with room for sample environment
- Measure in vacuum with clean-beam windowless detector or in air with X-Cones
Motorized Bonse-Hart USAXS module
Measure probe lengths as large as 4.5 microns together with nanoscale information.
- In & out removable crystals ensure USAXS and SAXS automatic sequential acquisitions on the same sample
- High quality SAXS & USAXS data merging
- No need for manual handling or instrument reconfiguration
- USAXS and SAXS/WAXS incident beams are colinear – no need to move the sample
Optimize your experiment to any type of sample (absorption, fluorescence, characteristic dimensions).
- Motorized change of source with automatic instrument alignment
- Up to 3 sources modules (Cu, Mo, Cr). Can be integrated with Ga MetalJet source.
- High precision switch process enables sequential measurement on same sample with different source radiation
The Xeuss 3.0 offers a maximum flexibility of measurement configurations to get the best possible data quality on any type of sample.
In particular, the following key features enable the user to optimize experiments or results:
- High flux settings adapted for fast kinetics embedded in a low background camera
- Largest surface of detection moveable all the way from WAXS to long distance SAXS to optimize resolution and signal-to-noise
- Long distance SAXS settings for measuring large characteristic dimensions (> 300 nm)
- Optional USAXS module to characterize large structures ( > 4 µm)
Beamstopless data acquisition
SAXS acquisition continuously without any beamstop provides High Dynamic Range data.
No parasitic scattering from beamstop edges or detector window allows noise-free scattering at low q.
The direct beam is recorded simultaneously with the sample scattering profile during acquisition for accurate transmitted intensity measurement, used to obtain a precise absolute intensity normalization.
In addition, the direct beam profile thus measured is integrated in the data analysis (XSACT) to improve the accuracy of the results.
Clean Beam Technology
As a standard solution, Xeuss 3.0 integrates low maintenance microfocus beam delivery systems to provide very high flux levels previously only possible with high power rotating anode sources. Advanced experiments such as kinetic studies or shape analysis of diluted samples can now be performed in the lab.
In addition, Xenocs X-ray beam delivery systems coupled with motorized scatterless collimation achieve high resolution (low Δq beam), which is essential for studying large characteristic dimensions or for performing accurate mesophase analysis.
The high useful flux together with the high resolution capability are achieved through the combination of:
- High brightness, long lasting microfocus sources
- Patented single reflection 2D multilayer optics with very high solid angle of collection
- 2D controlled beam size on sample and detector
To ensure the best quality of X-ray scattering measurements, including on diluted or low contrast samples, Xeuss 3.0 combines high flux with low noise technology, which is the fruit of more than 10 years of development.
Key integrated features are:
- Fully in-vacuum system from optics to detector sensor
- rd generation scatterless collimation (first introduced on the market by Xenocs in 2008)
- In-vacuum windowless detector
- Hybrid pixel photon counting detector
- Proprietary automatic cosmic background reduction to reduce the impact of ambient parasitic scattering
For applications requiring very fast kinetics Xeuss 3.0 can also be delivered with a MetalJet source.
Q-Xoom with large surface of detection
The Q-Xoom features full range computer-controlled detector travel to automatically adjust the sample-to-detector distance offering maximum flexibility of measurement for experiment optimization.
The virtual detector increases the measuring capabilities offering surfaces of collection larger than 200 mm2 x 200 mm2 at any sample-to-detector distance independently of detector size with automatic data reconstruction.
The large surface of detection is beneficial to optimize the azimuthal coverage in case of anisotropic samples or to benefit from high resolution measurement settings by characterizing smaller length scales (larger wave vectors) at longer sample to detector distance by a detector offset.
Plenty of space for sample environment
With its large chamber and concept ensuring stationary sample during measurement, the Xeuss 3.0 is the perfect X-ray scattering platform instrument for now and the future.
Advanced materials research and characterization could require integration of specific or customized sample environments. Xeuss 3.0 is perfectly adapted for such new projects thanks to its state of the art beamline concept. It provides:
- Large vacuum chamber with stationary sample during measurement (continuous on-axis sample viewing, smart integration of customized sample environments)
- Sample stage with long translations for sample mapping and batch measurements
- Broad range of standard sample environments with holder recognition
Microfocus sealed tube: Cu, 30W/30µm*, point focus. (* DIN EN 12543-5)
MetalJet source D2+ (Ga).
Motorized Dual source or triple source (Cu/Mo/Cr/Ga).
Patented 2D single reflection multilayer optics.
In-vacuum motorized 3-axis detectors for 2D SAXS/WAXS (Q-Xoom):
- Pilatus3 R 300K hybrid photon counting detector
- Eiger2 R (1M, 4M) hybrid photon counting detectors
Optional WAXS detectors for SWAXS:
- Pilatus3 R 100K hybrid photon counting detector
- Motorized 3-axis Eiger2 R 500K hybrid photon counting detector
Large vacuum chamber.
On-axis sample viewing (parallax free).
Attachments for operation of sample in air.
Clean Beam technology: high flux and low background beamline.
Beamstopless measurement: SAXS acquisition continuously without any beamstop.
Q-Xoom: Automatic change of measurement configuration over all instrument Q-range with no movement of sample measuring position.
Virtual detector mode: surfaces of detection > 200 mm² x 200 mm².
Nanoparticles size up to 300 nm or 500 nm in diameter depending on Xeuss model.
Nanoparticles size up to > 4.5 microns with optional motorized Bonse-Hart module for automatic sequential USAXS/SAXS measurements.
Scattering measurements up to 2Ɵ>70° with Q-Xoom.
Standard holders (multi-samples): solids, capillaries, powders.
Sample holders for powders and gels.
Flowcells for liquids:
- Low noise flowcell
- Capillary flowcell
- Automatic Sample Changer
- Multi-purpose X-Ray Temperature Stage (-30°C to 150°C)
- High temperature sample stage (-150°C to 350°C)
- Extended high temperature sample stage (amb — 1000°C)
Tensile Stage (0-200N).
Humidity stage (10%-90% from ambient to 60°C).
Temperature compatible GiSAXS stage
Other sample stages available under request
Acquisition software with automatic data reduction in absolute units and live data display.
XSACT (X-ray Scattering Analysis and Calculation Tool) for data analysis and interpretation.
Models & Footprint : Xeuss 3.0 C (1 m x 3 m), HR (1 m x 5 m), UHR (1 m x 8 m).
Maximum power consumption: < 3000 W (single phase power)
- Low noise flow cell
For liquid samples, especially useful for dilute or low scattering samples.
- Capillary flow cell
For liquid samples.
- Autosampler for liquids
For automatic and high precision liquid sample injection in the flow cells (using tubing connections).
Measurement cell for low sample volume solution scattering with machine vision assisted sample positioning.
- BioXolver pipetting robot
Robot for use with BioCube.
- Gel and powder capsule holder
For powders and gels, also suitable for liquids.
- GISAXS sample holder
For studying nanostructured surfaces and thin films.